Thursday, December 28, 2006

Week 1 of winter break

Ahhhh...it's good to be home =D

Of course, I miss my roomies and the excitement of all the stuff that happens on-campus, but it's also nice to get more than 8 hours of sleep a night and get some home-cooked food. Besides helping my sister finish up college applications, it's been pretty relaxing - catching up on "fun" reading (I've recently been introduced to the books of Neil Gaiman, who actually came to speak at Yale last spring but I didn't get to go see him), some gift-shopping, some knitting/sewing (modifying the dance handkerchiefs for Phoenix so they spin more easily), and some baking.

This past week we drove up to my aunt's house to see my grandparents, staying a few days since I haven't seen them in a few months. The last day, we went out to the American Museum of Natural History - always an awesome place...

The Origami Tree is a perennial favorite, and not just because I'm somewhat of an Origami fanatic who always has paper on hand in case of boredom. Every year, Origami USA volunteers decorate the tree with thousands of models based on a particular theme - previous years include "Under the Sea" and "Flower Garden" - this year being "Out on Safari." There are also intricate dioramas arranged around the tree, like this one (gotta love the elephant family to the right!):

Another cool thing is that volunteers staff tables around the tree teaching simple models, like my cousin learned how to make a snake and some other kids learned a box. I grabbed a piece of foil paper and made a Kawasaki Rose as a small gift for the volunteer on duty...it's fun making little things (lilies, cranes, etc.) and leaving them to cheer up someone's day =)

The other highlight was this incredible gold exhibit...unfortunately, photographs were not allowed because of the high security required to protect the items. Understandable, since it's really valuable stuff in there, ranging from natural gold crystals and artifacts recovered from central/South American cultures (aka saved from the conquistadors) to old American "double eagle" coins and modern-day Emmy/Golden Globe/Oscar/Grammy awards. Since I don't have photos, check out the official website HERE.

Goals for today: Caplab coding, some YSM work, maybe starting a scarf?

P.S. There's no way I can post all my photos on here, so I've started putting up full albums HERE...enjoy!

No comments: