Sunday, December 03, 2006

Concerts and old friends

Managed to fit in two awesome concerts (and other events!) this weekend, despite all the work. Therefore, lots of photos (and hopefully some videos!) coming up =D

First part of the musical weekend was the inaugural concert of the Yale Classical Music Society, which aims to give more of Yale's many excellent musicians a chance to perform as soloists and in small groups without the pressure of having to take formal lessons here and have their own hourlong recitals. Some highlights:
Anne (co-founder of the YCMS) playing two Chopin etudes


















left to right:
Terrence + Ed + Chris + Nathan = Temple Street Quartet playing Dvorak's "American" string quartet


The other musical part was tonight's Living Water winter concert, which was a lot of fun with the crazy skit and audience participation in the Christmas songs =) It was especially nice to see Lee-Shing's parents since they're like another set of parents to me - they've apparently come up for all of his concerts to hear him sing, and now, to direct the rest of the group as well.
Half of LW - Yale's Christian a capella group
The other half of LW

I also recorded most of 'The Lord Bless You and Keep You," which is their traditional closing song. There's a link HERE because I'm getting strange error messages whenever I try to embed it in the entry, but I'll figure that out eventually.

Finally, the third cool thing was seeing my old friend Dhruva at the Yale Ballroom Dance Invitational. I went to preschool with this kid, found him again at Governor's School 10 years after he moved to another town, then a few days ago he messaged me to say he would be here with the NYU ballroom dance team. I also got to surprise Rose, a high school friend who's now a freshman at Harvard - she was competing in the swing dance events but those were later in the afternoon so I couldn't stay to watch.

Dhruva with his partner in the bronze-level waltz (wearing the lavender gown)
My friend Kirk with his partner in the newcomer-level waltz (he's wearing #271)
A glimpse of the bronze-level quickstep competition

This week is going to be pretty crazy with exams Thursday/Friday plus the Perspectives on Science symposium Friday afternoon, for which I have to make and present a poster about my summer research in the Comparative Cognition Lab. After finishing this semester, I feel like I can take on anything, though I will definitely think twice before taking six credits again =P

No comments: