Friday, December 08, 2006

Snowy Street Scene

When I woke up this morning, this is what I saw...

The Grove Street Graveyard looks kinda pretty =)

The snow made the morning commute rather slippery, but thank goodness for the Science Hill bus and the new pilot program to have buses going down at peak times, not just up. Most of it had melted by this afternoon, but I'm sure there'll be more in the near future.

Today was extraordinarily busy...orgo exam at 9:30, Spanish grammar review at 10:30, then last orgo lab at 1:00 and Perspectives on Science symposium at 3:15. I got there just in time to put up my hastily thrown-together poster (I say thrown-together because it was text/photos on a posterboard, not a nice laminated poster since we don't have all the data yet) and talk to a few PoS '10-ers. A lot of them seem more interested in the "hard sciences" e.g. biochem and physics, but saying "I get to play with monkeys!" is usually a good way to start the conversation =P

After that was the first of two Silliman "Fireside Fridays" - this week was s'mores and hot chocolate out in the courtyard. A surprising amount of people braved the cold to come roast marshmallows and sing along with the holiday music blasting from my laptop (thanks to Zach setting up the huge speaker system =)...it was quite amusing to watch the first-time s'mores-makers, especially if their marshmallows unexpectedly caught on fire. Overall it was a good time, and I'm sure next week's Fireside Friday will be mush more popular, especially since it'll be indoors!
Silli-frosh to seniors enjoying s'mores

Tonight was also the second performance of the Opera Theater of Yale College's production "Street Scene," based on the libretto by Elmer Rice and produced by my awesome CASA sister Joyce. A lot of a capella people in it - especially a bunch of my friends in the Duke's Men, though that's not surprising since (1) they're all awesome singers and (2) Ethan, the director, is a former Doox member, so where better to recruit your cast? I was extraordinarily lucky to even get a seat: all the shows were sold out but I was high enough on the waitlist that I got in tonight. A very small selection of photos below - hopefully video will be forthcoming once I get a chance to edit the clips.

Singing about ice cream!

left: Jay and Jakara at the end of their dance number
right: She's telling Mr. Sankey to come upstairs...

Rose, you must listen; I loved her too.

Tomorrow is Phoenix group rehearsal and brunch to wrap up the semester, then some quality time with my primary sources in the Mudd Library government documents archive, then Silliman Holiday Dinner and hopefully the Davenport Pops concert "Sounds of America" in Woolsey Hall which should be awesome. It's going to be a busy weekend - not the least of which will be trying to write significant amounts of my two papers due during reading week - but it'll be good too. Stay posted for more updates with lots of photos!

No comments: