Monday, October 06, 2008

Mystery of the freezing hallway

Part I: A couple nights ago, I was coming out of the basement in my entryway when I noticed there was a simultaneous blast of hot and cold air. In front of me, the window was open (hence the cold air), but even worse (to my environmentalist instincts) was that the heater directly underneath was on full blast, with no control in view (it's behind a black wall thing).

Naturally, I closed the window, hoping that would warm up the freezing hallway as well as saving all the energy that had been flowing out needlessly out the window.

Part II: Tonight, I notice it's still freezing in the hallway. If possible, it's even colder than before. I know the building is made of stone and all, but it shouldn't be as bad as a medieval castle. The window by the basement is still closed properly, the door isn't open that often, the heat is on...everything points toward the idea that the hallway should be warm!

Then, I look up. The windows one flight up are wide open, both of them. And the heater underneath is on, full blast.

Windows closed, problem (hopefully) solved...we'll see how things feel in half an hour or so.

--------------------------------------------------
Random moment of amusement today:

*student walks into Greek Literature class, 5 minutes late, carrying a laundry basket*
Professor: Ritual cleansing?

No comments: