Saturday, September 27, 2008

What family is for

As I've grown up, I've come to redefine family as not just the people who are related to you by blood or marriage, but the people who will always care about and support you. Actually, I guess this is something that's always been part of my psyche, e.g. calling my parents' friends "Aunt" and "Uncle" (which is a very Asian thing to do anyway).

Semi-inspired by recent personal experience, a list of things that only "family" would do:
- give you an honest opinion about...anything, really
- initially try to keep a straight face, then laugh with you (not at you) when you make ridiculous statements or do silly things
- tuck a blanket around you when you're sleeping
- pick up the phone after midnight when you're calling for help or advice, even the most random questions
- stop at an intersection to roll down the window and wave
- provide a willing-to-listen ear or a solid shoulder
- organize birthday parties (surprise or otherwise)
- cook or bake for you
- worry about you so much that they can't sleep
- forgive anything you do wrong, no matter what

So as much as we may disagree sometimes, I'd just like to say that I'm constantly amazed by and grateful for all the love I've been fortunate enough to receive from the many members of my "family." Perhaps most important, thank you for showing me how to pass on that love. Spreading love and goodwill by helping others can only help the world as a whole.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

matthew 12:46-50