Friday, November 03, 2006

First post =)

Now that I have two less exams to worry about, I can actually start working on this =)

At Master's Tea with Carl Zimmer today, he pointed out that much of science writing and journalism in general is moving online. More people read the New York Times online than the print version, which makes sense since the webpage is updated much faster than the presses can print issues. Even he has a blog, which he mostly uses to comment on new scientific discoveries that he finds interesting but may not be able to write about for a publication. There are lots of people, celebrities or not, that use their blogs to bring attention to social, political, and economic issues that others wouldn't normally pay attention to. There are lots of people who use blogs to express their opinions, whether it's a well-reasoned argument or ranting at the current situation. There are lots of people who just want to keep family and friends updated on recent events, photos included.

My purpose is a mix of all three and then some. First semester last year in English 120, Professor Stepto asked us to keep a daily journal, just jotting down notes and thoughts that might seem random but could potentially turn into an interesting essay. Now that I'm no longer in that class, it seems that I don't have time for that, though I'll have a good conversation with someone or hear a funny story and think, "I should really write this down!" Since I haven't been writing, however, it feels as if my life is flying by even if an hour of orgo lecture seems to drag on forever. College is supposed to be the best four years of life (I sincerely hope that isn't true - life would be pretty pathetic if it all goes downhill after 22) but what good is it if you can't remember it later? I don't mean forgetting the big things like the horror of having two midterms in two hours, but forgetting the small everyday things that make you smile and want to get up each morning.

So, to begin...I just found out it's suprisingly difficult to pull a Twizzler out of its wrapper (only tore a small part of the top) in one piece. Apparently the structural integrity of the Twizzler itself is less than the adhesive forces between the Twizzler and the inside of the wrapper, at least in this case =P

My favorite part of today was framing and hanging about 20 old YSM covers for our display "112 years of Yale Scientific Magazine" in the Davenport art gallery. From the two-tone bordered text of the 1920's to the brilliantly colored digital graphics of today, it was fascinating to see all the redesigns as well as the scientific advances that each cover depicts.



















Our knowled
ge of the world has greatly increased and our publication has correspondingly evolved to reflect that, but there is still so much to learn. I remember I considered joining the YDN or the Herald because I thought I would miss newspaper, but I think I've really found my media niche here, where I'm always interested both in the writing and in the topic.

But now it's time to go do some not-so-fun writing...orgo lab report!

No comments: