Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Guest blog: Welcome to New Haven!

Editor's note: This blog is from Liz Kinsley '05, one of our wonderful admissions officers and a New Haven native!

Hi 2013! I thought I'd be the first to welcome you to Yale, and to New Haven!

Earlier today, Dean Brenzel called me (accused me of being?) "the New Haven Maven" in an email, and I think I"ll run with that ridiculous-but-kind-of-amazing title. I grew up in New Haven and will talk anyone's ear off about how much this place has to offer. The city is rich in history, artistic culture, interesting people, delicious food, my really cool parents, etc., so this post will hopefully share with you some nooks and crannies of New Haven that never turn up on our campus tour.

First, I will take you where far too few Yalies have gone before (at least during the school year): to the beach!

(Cue my Beach Boys soundtrack...)

I know what you're thinking. But it's true: New Haven is a beach town.

And Lighthouse Point Park, which looks out across the Long Island Sound, is one of my favorite places to soak up the true character of the Elm City (1). Along with the New Haven Green, Lighthouse Beach may be the best spot to see New Haven's diverse community come together in one place.

Next to the beach itself are stretches of grass with gazebos and picnic tables where groups - school field trips, big families, birthday parties, etc. - camp out for the day, barbecuing, throwing footballs and Frisbees (2), or flying kites.

At one end of the beach is an old-fashioned carousel, one of New Haven's classiest historic landmarks.

When I was little, I'd come to the Lighthouse at the end of every year with my elementary and middle school classes, and I'd beeline for the camel on the carousel (pictured below). It doesn't move up and down like most of the horses do, but it's a CAMEL. Which is awesome.

Lighthouse Point is about a ten minute drive from campus, and the city bus will take you directly there. You should all take time to go when you get here in the fall. Yale 2013 can make a name for itself by becoming beach bums and spreading the Lighthouse love!

(1) New Haven was famous for a huge population of elm trees before Dutch Elm Disease wiped them out in the late 1920's and 30's.
(2) The Frisbee was arguably invented in New Haven.

No comments: